Shapers are highly motivated individuals who have a great potential for future leadership roles in society. They are selected on the basis of their achievements, leadership potential, and commitment to make a difference. Through the Global Shapers Community, Shapers are provided with opportunities to connect with the worldwide network of Global Shapers, to network with other World Economic Forum communities, and to represent the voice of youth at World Economic Forum events. Shapers are united by a common desire to channel the members’ tremendous energy and enthusiasm into building a more peaceful and inclusive world.
New Shaper recruitment is underway! Applications are now being accepted here - all applications are due by 11:59 PM on September 25.
- Gain in-depth exposure to thought-leadership and knowledge of global, regional and industry issues.
- Actively initiate and contribute to local, regional and global initiatives towards improving the state of the world.
- Engage in opportunities that enhance an entrepreneurial spirit as a means to create economic development and social progress.
- Belong to a global network of outstanding young leaders, engage with the broader Forum community and its members and constituents.
- Further develop leadership skills and capabilities through custom programs, workshops, informal gatherings, mentorship opportunities, etc.
- Potential to attend World Economic Forum Annual Meetings and Regional Summits.
Who is a shaper?
We are looking for young leaders aged 20 to 29, who…
- Are resourceful, passionate and entrepreneurial in solving issues
- Have a strong desire to enhance the community they are in
- Are highly committed to develop their leadership potential towards serving society
- Have initiated and/or played a role in a social project founded by a company/organization/individual
- Are ready to support fellow Shapers in their individual and professional development
frequently Asked questions
Q: What is Shapers?
A: We are a local hub, connected to a global network, of young people committed to making DC and the world a better place. Global Shapers is a diverse, nonpartisan group backed by the World Economic Forum.
Q: What kinds of projects do the DC Shapers work on?
A: We plan and implement a range of projects every year, on issues ranging from health to homelessness to education to refugees to climate change. See some of our recent projects and events here.
Q: What are the benefits of joining Shapers?
A: Joining Shapers gives you access to a strong network of young leaders across industries in DC, and can allow you to expand your ability to positively impact your community and the world. All Shapers have the opportunity to lead projects, contribute to projects, serve on committees, and develop their leadership and other skills as part of the community. We hold regular meetings, social events, and other opportunities to bond with our awesome members. Additionally, Shapers can apply to attend regional SHAPE conferences and the annual World Economic Forum meetings.
Q: Why are there two D.C. hubs? A: D.C. has a large membership base, so we had to create multiple hubs to cater to stronger interest in the D.C. region. Each hub has a unique collection of Shapers with their own identity and purpose. However, we proudly operate as “Two Hubs, One Community” both internally and externally as we believe both Hubs working together in unison yields the greatest impact for Washington D.C. and beyond.
Q: What is the total membership base of the D.C. hubs? Is there a quota for recruitment? A: We have approximately 50 members total. We don't have a recruitment quota, but rather are looking for the "right" people who fit our vision of an ideal Shaper.